Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Oregon Trip

At first I thought there would be nothing much to write about since I have been to Oregon so many times. Also we have been there just a month ago.

The purpose of this trip is to attend hubby's driving training event on Monday. At first we only plan to go on Sunday, did a bit shopping then head back home on Monday. However, since we didn't have enough time to go to the Oregon Aquarium in our last trip, we then decided to stay one more day. Also, this trip doesn't cost as much since the Sunday night hotel is free from the buy-2-get-1-free promotion, as we already stayed two nights last month.

So, we head down the States on Saturday, around 10am. The lineup is 90 minutes! Even Nexus lane need to split and we went through the extra counter opened in the truck crossing side. After having lunch in Tulalip, we continued our drive to Woodburn outlet. On the way, we always passed by an outlet which is close to the Oregon border but never go in. So this time we decided to make a stop. Well, not too much to see there except there is a Body Work outlet.

Since hubby is a bit tired so we decided to check in the hotel and take a break first before driving directly to Woodburn outlet. So by the time we got to Woodburn outlet it's already 6pm. Not too much time for shopping, which is OK because we didn't plan to get a lot shopping done anyway. In the end, I got one pair of pants, and hubby got HH hiking shoes for $40, and Kenneth Cole jeans for $30. After that we went to Bridgeport Village for dinner. This time we decided to try California Pizza which we haven't tried before. The server is very attentive and friendly. The pizza tastes pretty good but I'm still full from the buffet lunch. So I just had a salad (which tastes pretty good too).

After that it's time to get some rest in our usual place, Holiday Inn Express Jantzen Beach. Although it's not a 5-star hotel, it always doesn't disappoint me. The bed is very comfortable, there are both soft and hard pillow for you to choose from, the shower head is good that it lets you to adjust the strength easily. There is a wet bar and microwave. It's just a comfry stay and I got nothing to complain about.

The breakfast is upgraded with sausage as well, again, it's not fancy but good enough.

Sunday, we head down to Newport the Oregon Aquarium. By the time we got there it's about 3pm. The aquarium itself is not big but there are some giant stone/cave built for the sea lion/seals. Pretty interesting architecture there. We stayed there till almost the closing time (6pm).

Although we have planed to visit the Cape Meares lighthouse on the way back, we were running out of time. So we just stop by Yaquina Bay lighthouse and took a few shots of the lighthouse and the Yaquina Bay bridge. We even drove down the bay front area, which looks like a fisherman's wharf.

Dinner in California Kitchen as well. This time tried another pizza.

Now, the excitement comes the next day.

Supposedly, the plan goes as follows. Hubby attends track day at 7am. Then after his first session, he came back to the hotel to pick me up (around 10am) and go to Washington Square. There I just shop while wait for him.

But around 10am, I got his phone call. I knew there's something. Otherwise we won't call each other and pay expensive roaming charge. He said his car is broke down. Engine gives out smoke and oil is leaking. So I quickly call BCAA toll free number (from lobby). I was worried because I believed my basic BCAA plan only cover first few miles and then every other mile costs. And nothing is "close" in US. Anyway, whatever charges come out we still need the car to be towed to the nearest dealership. It turns out that in US, towing within city is free, only towing off city (e.g. Oregon Coast) depends on the mileage. And we are so lucky that we were actually at Oregon Coast yesterday and if the car broke down at that time, it would be huge cost (and waiting time) to get the car tow to dealership. At least, now, the towing is free. The tow truck pick me up as well from the hotel and we all go to the nearest car dealership in S. Jefferson St. We have been there a couple times to buy motor oil and parts. I'm surprised to see that inside the tow truck, I saw my company's product iPilot in action! I try to ask her how she likes it. Well, no harsh comments at least. This is the first time for me to see iPilot in action!
OK, back to the dealership. We are also "lucky" to get a service rep who is able to serve us out in a busy day. It's not small work, need to contact the extended warranty company to open a file first, then get the car checked. Finally after 2 hours, it's "certified". It's going to be there for long time and now we worried how to get back to our home. The service rep arranges a rental car and drove us to MB dealership down the street, where there is car rental company service counter.
We got a new Camery to drive home. The only I asked is that whether there is air condition. Yeah, it's actually a new car (with only 1000 miles on it) and well equipped. Later my hubby even found out the hidden aux input so we can enjoy our music on our long journey home.

After we have settled in our rental car, it's already 3pm and I decided to go to Washington Square (like our original plan) for lunch. There I have met my friends and they just begin their crazy shopping trip.

At 7pm we finally took off, in a camery with Oregon plate this time.

12:30am, we got home safe.

2 comments:

Bunny said...

That's a pretty exciting trip for u.

You guys left so late... 10am!!! We only waited 20mins or so :P

I thought all cars have air cond nowadays. I wouldn't even bother asking.

Petti said...

We have NEXUS card, so we'd rather had more sleep... :)

This is the first time for me to have a rental car, I don't think "all" cars have air con, though.