Friday, October 31, 2008

My first Europe trip - Day 10 of 15 (Paris)

Our schedule is pretty tight today: we are visiting Chateau de Versailles, Louvre and also Moulin Rouge.

We start the morning with lots of vitamin C :) There is a juice extractor in the breakfast lounge! So we can't wait to make a fresh orange juice. Seriously, it's quite wasteful to make a small glass of orange juice but not consume the orange itself. It takes 3 oranges to make a glass!

Chateau de Versailles is just huge and grand. You can see golden colour everywhere. The hall of mirror, the water fountain in the garden are both magnificent. However, both the king's and queen's bedroom are quite small, especially the bed. It's definitely smaller than king's size!

There is also a modern art exhibition held inside the chateau, featuring sculptures from Jeff Koons. I just can't understand, a historic building with modern art? A total mismatch!

We had another local tour guide for the Louvre tour. I had no expectation at all, since I had problem understanding his commentary. Maybe he's from other parts of Canton that his Cantonese is some how different from what I can understand!

To my surprise, the other lady local tour guide is just great! She speaks super fast but very clear. Both her Cantonese and Mandarin are excellent and very precise. She picks a few popular drawing and sculpture and explain to us in detail. I just wish I had her as the tour guide for 1 week so that I can fully "examine" every single art pieces!

Finally...shopping time!

We arrived in the Printemps department stores and we are greeted by the Cantonese receptionist! We were given some coupons and were told that we can get instant tax return at the counter here. And of course, the staff are all Cantonese/Mandarin speaking so that our tour, and other Chinese tour, feel comfortable shopping here. Yeah, I can certainly experience the buying power of Chinese now (particularly from mainland China).
I also visit the Galeries Lafayette, as Henry showed me pictures of this department store from his last business trip (yeah he just visited 30 minutes before closing, after he got off work).
Finally, I got myself a nice wallet from Printemps (to go with my new bag...haahaa).

Dinner is all inclusive except tonight, which we are paying on our own. We are going to have sea food feast!
The crab is not too large but it's full of 蟹羔 inside! There are raw oyster, cocktail shrimp, and field snail (they looks raw though). But seriously, I still prefer the Chinese style cooking. Since I don't really like raw oyster (I don't like oyster in general), and I am afraid of the 'raw' snail, so we just leave it and the other tour member took our portion too. yeah, why waste; however, he got sick for almost the rest of the tour....I don't think it's food poisoning, rather may be overate of seafood and got sick.

Most of our tour members paid $120 to watch the Moulin Rough show. But for us, our cash is running out and can't really afford the $120 Euro/person for the show. So we give up...maybe next time then...

Finally, our bus is back and I am so glad! The driver even wash the whole bus both inside and outside. Feel so great especially after being in an old smelly bus...
However, I do feel sorry for the driver because as he back up on the street to drop us off to the hotel, the tour bus hit the flower planter and damage the bumper...the flower planter is very low so can't blame the driver who can't see it...still...I considered him as a very good driver and so as the rest of the tour members. Can tell from the tip he got...

Europe Trip Day 10

No comments: