Went to the Vancouver Aquarium on Sunday. Heard that they have a new IMAX 4D theatre showing Planet Earth: Shallow Seas 4-D Experience (23 minutes). With the 50% off coupon on hand which is going to expire in a week, I plan to revisit this place.
The admission is a bit on the pricey side: $22/person includes the IMAX admission. With the coupon it seems to become a bit more a affordable.
It was actually my mistake that we took off late. When I got there it's already 3pm, which I know later that it closes at 5. And of course, after we saw the first section, we hurry to the lineup for the IMAX show. We lineup for about 15 minutes and we are one of the last few people for this last show of the day.
Like other IMAX theatre, the screen is exceptionally large: from floor to ceiling. However, the seat cushion seems a bit harder than those in other cinema. Each of us received a pair of clear plastic film glasses (no longer the red+green one as 20 years ago). I was expecting the moving seats like the one in Vegas but it doesn't seem to be like that (can't see railing underneath). Before the feature show, there is a short introductory trailer to give you an idea about the 4D experience: water splash on your face, vibrating chair, bubble, wind and even something that tickle your feet (I still can't figure out what that is, I assume it is some strong jet of air stream that blows out). Last but not least, the 3D effect that image is poking out of the screen. Combining all of the above, the experience is totally unique, if not a bit too exciting at times. Yeah I don't really advise anybody with heart attack to go there, so you know what I mean. Yet, it's a total new experience for the audience. You don't only watch, but sense. The whale is breathing on the surface of water so you feel the air that blow out from the whale, you get water splash on your face. You see bubbles; just like there is air bubble under the sea.
I totally recommend it, despite the high admission price. If you go before the end of October, there is another 4D movie showing as well (Halloween theme). I actually feel bad that only I don't have enough time to go over the rest of the aquarium. There would be another visit for sure, until I got another 2-for-1 coupon. :)
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment